Jacksonville Friends (Quakers) welcome anyone who wants to sit together in worshipful silence and to share without judgment our individual and collective spiritual seeking.
Schedule changes for December
- December 9th – 10:30 Meeting for Worship, but NO Meeting for Business
- December 16th – 10:30 Meeting for Worship
- 11:30-12:30 Potluck lunch – Please join us whether or not you can bring food
- 12:30-2:00 Adult Study – Session 9 ; The Quaker way of life
- December 23rd – NO Meeting for Worship
- December 30th – NO Meeting for worship
- Meeting for Worship resumes on January 6, 2019
- Next Meeting for Business will be January 13, 2019
Our Meeting for Worship begins as the first person enters silently, sits down, and turns her or his mind toward Spirit/God. We quietly center ourselves to the stillness of the Meeting; tuning out the sounds of the world outside and turning our attention to the inner voice. Don’t worry if you find your mind juggling lively thoughts. Find peace in the stillness surrounding you.
Our children sit silently with us for the first 15 minutes, after which they are excused for silent study or First Day School.
Our Meeting for Worship is unprogrammed (see “Traditional Quaker Worship“). There are no prepared sermons, songs, or prayers. We sit in quiet waiting, listening for our own leadings of the Spirit. If a leading comes, we speak the message into the silence. There is no commenting or discussion following each message. Instead, we return to silence; humbly digesting the spoken message.
Quakers sit in silence because they want to know something that words cannot tell them. They want to feel something or become aware of something that they can really make connection with. It is something fundamental to their life, they know that, indeed it is the underlying reality of their life, but they are not normally aware of it.
– Rex Ambler, The Quaker Way: A rediscovery (2013)
Silent worship ends (the “rise of meeting”) when the Clerk greets Friends. We welcome each other, share announcements, coffee and social time.
Friends hold monthly Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business on the second First-day of every month at 11:30am
Friends gather for Monthly Potluck & Discussion on the third First-day of every month at 11:30am.