Jacksonville Friends (Quakers) welcome anyone who wants to sit together in worshipful silence and to share without judgment our individual and collective spiritual seeking.
October 2019 Calendar
- Sunday, October 6th – Meeting for Worship at 10:30-11:30 am
- Sunday, October 13th – Meeting for Worship at 10:30-11:30 am
- Monday, October 14th – NEW EVENT – Monthly evening gathering for worship & fellowship
- Hosted by Friends in the Beaches area
- Contact email@example.com for information
- Sunday, October 20th – CANCELED – Meeting for Worship at 10:30-11:30 am
- Sunday, October 27th – Meeting for Worship at 10:30-11:30 am
Jacksonville Friends do not currently hold monthly meetings for business. We have a called meeting if discernment or decisions on a concern are needed.
Several of us will be in Miami at the Homestead Detention Center, opposing the separation from families and detention there of migrant children. See the following links:
- The Campaign to Shut Down Homestead Detention Center – Southeastern Yearly Meeting
- Shutdown Homestead Detention Center|End Child Detention – American Friends Service Committee
- End Childhood Detention Coalition – Public Facebook Group
- Witness: Tornillo. Target: Homestead– Public Facebook Group
Meeting Brochure (printable PDF tri-fold, 2019)
See Newcomers Information for more details & reading resources
Our Meeting for Worship begins as the first person enters Meeting Brochure (printable PDF tri-fold)silently, sits down, and turns her or his mind toward Spirit/God. We quietly center ourselves to the stillness of the Meeting; tuning out the sounds of the world outside and turning our attention to the inner voice. Don’t worry if you find your mind juggling lively thoughts. Find peace in the stillness surrounding you.
Our children sit silently with us for the first 15 minutes, after which they are excused for silent study or First Day School.
Our Meeting for Worship is unprogrammed (see “Traditional Quaker Worship“). There are no prepared sermons, songs, or prayers. We sit in quiet waiting, listening for our own leadings of the Spirit. If a leading comes, we speak the message into the silence. There is no commenting or discussion following each message. Instead, we return to silence; humbly digesting the spoken message.
Quakers sit in silence because they want to know something that words cannot tell them. They want to feel something or become aware of something that they can really make connection with. It is something fundamental to their life, they know that, indeed it is the underlying reality of their life, but they are not normally aware of it.
– Rex Ambler, The Quaker Way: A rediscovery (2013)
Silent worship ends (the “rise of meeting”) when the Clerk greets Friends. We welcome each other, share announcements, coffee and social time.
Friends hold monthly Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business on the second First-day of every month at 11:30am
Friends gather for Monthly Potluck & Discussion on the third First-day of every month at 11:30am.