Jacksonville Friends (Quakers) welcome anyone who wants to sit together in worshipful silence and to share without judgment our individual and collective spiritual seeking.
- Meeting for Worship – 10:30-11:30am each Sunday (First Day) in the activities building of Florida Christian Center (How to Find Us).
- Meeting for Business – Second Sunday each month, from 11:45am till 1:00pm (Meeting for Business Minutes)
- Potluck & Adult Study Group – Third Sunday each month
- 11:30-12:30 Potluck lunch – Please join us whether or not you can bring food
- 12:30-2:00 Adult Study – Open to all (currently making our slow way through Rex Ambler’s 2013 book, The Quaker Way: A rediscovery)
Our Meeting for Worship begins as the first person enters silently, sits down, and turns her or his mind toward Spirit/God. We quietly center ourselves to the stillness of the Meeting; tuning out the sounds of the world outside and turning our attention to the inner voice. Don’t worry if you find your mind juggling lively thoughts. Find peace in the stillness surrounding you.
Our children sit silently with us for the first 15 minutes, after which they are excused for silent study or First Day School.
Our Meeting for Worship is unprogrammed (see “Traditional Quaker Worship“). There are no prepared sermons, songs, or prayers. We sit in quiet waiting, listening for our own leadings of the Spirit. If a leading comes, we speak the message into the silence. There is no commenting or discussion following each message. Instead, we return to silence; humbly digesting the spoken message.
Quakers sit in silence because they want to know something that words cannot tell them. They want to feel something or become aware of something that they can really make connection with. It is something fundamental to their life, they know that, indeed it is the underlying reality of their life, but they are not normally aware of it.
– Rex Ambler, The Quaker Way: A rediscovery (2013)
Silent worship ends (the “rise of meeting”) when the Clerk greets Friends. We welcome each other, share announcements, coffee and social time.
Friends hold monthly Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business on the second First-day of every month at 11:30am
Friends gather for Monthly Potluck & Discussion on the third First-day of every month at 11:30am.