Jacksonville Friends (Quakers) welcome anyone who wants to sit together in worshipful silence and to share without judgment our individual and collective spiritual seeking.
- Meeting for Worship at 10:30-11:30 am each Sunday
- Potluck at 11:30 and Friendly Discussion from 12:30-1:30, the 3rd Sunday each month
- Newcomers and seasoned Friends are all welcome.
- We have discontinued the 2018 discussion of Rex Ambler’s book and use queries or a participant’s personal leadings to inspire discussion.
- 3rd Annual Taste of Murray Hill, April 11, 5:30-7:30 pm, @ Florida Christian Center
Join us at the Jacksonville Friends Meeting table, or just wander around in this great neighborhood event
- 2019 Southeastern Yearly Meeting Gathering, April 17 – 21, United Methodist Life Enrichment Center, Fruitland Park, Florida
Jacksonville Friends do not currently hold monthly meetings for business. We have a called meeting if discernment or decisions on a concern are needed.
Our Meeting for Worship begins as the first person enters Meeting Brochure (printable PDF tri-fold)silently, sits down, and turns her or his mind toward Spirit/God. We quietly center ourselves to the stillness of the Meeting; tuning out the sounds of the world outside and turning our attention to the inner voice. Don’t worry if you find your mind juggling lively thoughts. Find peace in the stillness surrounding you.
Our children sit silently with us for the first 15 minutes, after which they are excused for silent study or First Day School.
Our Meeting for Worship is unprogrammed (see “Traditional Quaker Worship“). There are no prepared sermons, songs, or prayers. We sit in quiet waiting, listening for our own leadings of the Spirit. If a leading comes, we speak the message into the silence. There is no commenting or discussion following each message. Instead, we return to silence; humbly digesting the spoken message.
Quakers sit in silence because they want to know something that words cannot tell them. They want to feel something or become aware of something that they can really make connection with. It is something fundamental to their life, they know that, indeed it is the underlying reality of their life, but they are not normally aware of it.
– Rex Ambler, The Quaker Way: A rediscovery (2013)
Silent worship ends (the “rise of meeting”) when the Clerk greets Friends. We welcome each other, share announcements, coffee and social time.
Friends hold monthly Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business on the second First-day of every month at 11:30am
Friends gather for Monthly Potluck & Discussion on the third First-day of every month at 11:30am.