Here are three documents to introduce you to our Quaker Meeting and to Silent Worship:
- Jacksonville Quaker Worship Group Brochure (printable PDF trifold)
- Stages of Meeting for Worship – Michael Wajda & Alison Levie (printable PDF trifold)
- Silence and Speech: For anyone new to Quaker Worship – Richard Allen (printable PDF pamphlet, two 2-sided sheets, foldable into 8 pages)
A good start in understanding the Quaker way is to watch the QuakerSpeak interview with Arthur Larrabee, 9 Core Quaker Beliefs. There are many other helpful QuakerSpeak videos, including this set of Quaker Basics: Videos for Newcomers.
You might also want to read this brief excerpt from the introduction to The Quaker Way: a rediscovery, by Rex Amber (2013).
To learn a bit about Quaker silent worship (also called “waiting worship”), here is a brief piece that you can read and/or download. It is followed by several longer articles and pamphlets, all of which we have permission to let people copy.
- “Stages of Meeting for Worship” – Michael Wajda & Alison Levie, SEYM, April 2001
- based on Four Doors to Meeting for Worship, by William Taber (1992) Pendle Hill Pamphlet #306
- “Silence and Speech: For anyone new to Quaker Worship” – An open letter to a newcomer by Richard Allen (1992)
- Copyright © Richard Allen estate, First published March 1992
- Reprinted by permission of Friends General Conference
- Available at quakerbooks.org/products/silence-and-speech-2759
- “Silent Worship and Quaker Values: An Introduction” – Marsha Holliday (1997)
- Originally printed by students in the Print Shop of Sandy Spring Friends School
- Available in “Let Your Lives Speak: Quaker History, Terms and Practice at Sandy Spring Friends School” (pp.14-18)
- “Speaking into the Silence” – Sydney Chambers and Carolynne Myall (1991)
- Reprinted from the August 1991 issue of Friends Journal.
- “Dear Helpful Hannah,” quoted from “Speaking into the Silence”, Friendly Woman, Yol. 9, No 8.
Finally, there are many other sources of information on a broad range of Quaker topics, including the pamphlets shown below, as well as informative pages of our various affiliated and partner organizations (see Contacts & Partners).
Pendle Hill Pamphlets – Printable PDF documents flyers and pamphlets
See The Pendle Hill Store and Quaker Books of FGC for many more resources